Sauerkraut easy to make yourself to support your intestines with healthy bacteria that are produced during fermentation.
Make sauerkraut. Healthy facts about sauerkraut.
- Sauerkraut is made with white or red cabbage that is fermented by the action of the lactic acid bacteria.
- Because the cabbage is covered airtight, it will ferment. In this environment without oxygen, lactic acid bacteria convert starch and sugars in the cabbage into lactic acid in 2 to 3 days.
- This fermentation process gives sauerkraut a fresh sour taste, lots of vitamin C and it is delicious with all kinds of dishes.
- Especially in the winter period, sauerkraut is indispensable
Make your own sauerkraut. How are you?
For different taste you can add carrots, apples or onion. My favorite is with the apples. That gives a slightly sweeter taste.
- Take 1 or 2 large clean jars of 1 or 2 liters.
- Cut or grate the cabbage into small pieces together with carrots or apples. For the beginners I recommend using Chinese cabbage or pointed cabbage. These are somewhat of a softer structure.
- Put everything in a large bowl.
- Add a little salt and knead it until some juice comes out
- Mix everything well and fill the pots with this
Making sauerkraut yourself is easy and tasty
- Take a larger pan. Add water. Let the water boil and add salt and sugar. For 1 liter of water: 2 tablespoons of salt and 1 sugar.
- For more flavor you can add garlic, dill or other spices.
- Pour hot or warm water into the jars until they are full
- Now leave it in the kitchen for 2 to 3 days. The temperature should not be too low. It is necessary for fermentation.
- Take a wooden spoon and make holes in the jars so that the air from the fermentation can go out.
- Place the pots in the dish. The bubbling can cause excess liquid to spill over the edges.
The longer you wait the more sour it gets. I leave it for max 2 days. For me, 2 days is enough. Then you put it in the fridge or in the basement. You can keep it in the fridge for up to a few months. But it will be over with me in a few weeks.
It is easy and delicious to combine with other vegetables or fruit. Try adding fresh apples and onion and of course olive or sunflower seed oil.
Enjoy your meal! Your gut will thank you for providing healthy food for your gut bacteria.
Healthy intestines help us produce B vitamins that we need for energy, serotonin hormone - for “happiness” and the immune system in general.